Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Getting A Little Nervous

Well, I have been going a little crazy these past few days. I am realizing what this volunteer trip is going to cost. Cheyanne and I have met a few times these past few nights, crunching some numbers, and we are looking at about $4,000 EACH!! I know this isn't much for living abroad for six months, but it is still a lot for me to come up with.I have been planning a few fund raising things, but I am worried that I will still fall short.

I have been calling some friends and family to let people know what I am doing. A lot of people still don't know what I am planning on doing, so I am just letting them know my plans.

We are planning on leaving the first week in August. The 6th would be ideal, but since Honduras isn't exactly a tourist hot-spot, it is hard finding a flight that works with our plans.

Something a little neat happened the other day. Eve, the HHK volunteer coordinator, has introduced Chey and I to the other people that will be living with us in the volunteer house. As it turns out, we are the only US citizens that will be there at that time.
There is a very nice girl from Canada that is flying into Northern Mexico and finishing her journey to Honduras by backpacking her way through the different countries. She is a lot braver than I am! So she will arrive in July at the volunteer house.
There is a 19 year old girl from Germany that will be there from August till December. So she will be there for just about the same time period as us.
There is also a girl from the Netherlands. I really don't know much about her yet.
We are all emailing each other back and forth, getting to know each other before we will have to live together. I love the idea that we are the only American's there, so we will have to teach the others about Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you are doing! Good luck to you and your cousin!!!

travelmonkey said...

i figured out the donation link thing... finally...