Saturday, May 3, 2008

Getting Ready To Go...

As most may know, in August, my cousin Cheyanne and I will be quitting our jobs, selling our cars, leaving our family and friends behind and traveling into the jungles of Honduras to volunteer at an orphanage.

Why you may ask?
Because of many reasons. I have been preparing to serve a mission for my church for a few years now, and due to my history with depression, they have decided to "Honorably Excuse" me from serving. But since I have already been planning to drop my life for two years and serve, it was easy to decide to go to Honduras. Among other reasons, I have also always felt the need to reach out my hand, and help those that can't help themselves. And homeless children in South America just seem to fit the bill nicely.

What are my plans?
Well my plans are fairly simple. I plan to leave home in August and fly out of the Las Vegas, NV airport and arrive in the city San Pedro Sula where I will either ride a bus for 4 hours or fly for 20 minutes, I still haven't decided which one to La Ceiba. It is a city on the Caribbean Sea. I will then attend a language school for 2-4 weeks to learn Spanish and get me used to the area. On the weekends, the school takes the students on field trips around Honduras. Personally, I just want to hold a monkey. Then I will be okay! :D Then I then travel about 20 minutes into the jungle to a small village to which I have already forgotten the name and live in a volunteer house with the other volunteers. The house is just down the road in another village from the orphanage that I will be spending most of my time. I plan to stay in Honduras till about February. I am going with an open return date, depending on the experience and if I am ready to get home.

How Can I Afford It?
Honestly? How can I afford to not go? These kids have no parents, and are also not adoptable.
I have been making plans for a fund raiser soon, and hopefully that will help with some of the expences. We are asked to pay each our own way. Flights, food, rent at the volunteer house, and travel as well, not to mention unexpected troubles one is to expect in a foreign country.

What Will I Be Doing At The Orphanage?
All I know is that these kids, are indeed orphaned and most have not ever experienced having parents. The volunteers are the only family that these children will be able to experience.
I have been told by the volunteer coordinator that she has decided that she would like Cheyanne and I to work specifically with the younger group. Keep in mind that there are children from the ages of 6 weeks, to 16 years of age at this orphanage. Other than that, I will be doing whatever is asked of me.

I have included some pictures form their website. If you would like to visit HHK's website, click HERE!







No comments: