Saturday, May 17, 2008

This is the Real Thing

I think today I have just realized that this is the real thing. I have realized that it IS going to happen, and that is isn't just an awesome dream of mine to go... It's happening!!

A few days ago, we mailed out over 150 fliers to family and friends all over Utah and Arizona asking for donations and support. I also mailed some out to a lot to my old ward in Mesa.
i talked to the owner of the "Downtown St. George Festival" and she has agreed to set up a booth for Chey and I to sell our "Drawing" tickets. She told me that although "Raffles" are illegal, "Drawings" are not, so I have been converted. That takes place Thursday, June 5. We will also have a live mic from one of the local radio stations present so that our drawing results can be broadcasted on live radio. We are currently looking for a large grand prize for the drawing as an incentive for people to want to buy more tickets. I have in my mind something like a t.v. or an iPod. Something to get more than just your everyday donators, but the kids and teenagers involved too. We talked to Walmart today, and I have to call back on Mon. and talk to a woman named Jo about the donation. But I will see if it will be possible to get her to donate an older discounted t.v. or an iPod. I will take anything at this point. We also talked to Office Max, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Home Depot as well. A few of them might turn out to be able to donate, but because of corporate policies, it could take longer than we have to get a donation. But one grand prize and just some smaller gift cards and small gifts would be great. It might just come down to us having to buy an iPod, and hope it pays for itself with the drawing, but I have high hopes for Walmart and some of the other stores to come through for us.
I have found a lot of people here locally to be very supportive and giving of our cause. Cheyanne's mother Cindy talked to the man that owns the gas station and car wash here in Santa Clara, and he is willing to hold a day for us to sell car washes for donations, and have us keep all the proceeds. I can see that helping us a lot. Especially if we get on the air with the local t.v. station KCSG as well. I am going to start working on getting some dates finalized, so that we can have set times and dates with the different events that we now have going on.
I am trying to leave for my hometown Mesa, Arizona tomorrow. I don't know if it is going to for sure happen or now, but I know what talking to some of my old friends, businesses, and just people in general, I might be able to get more donations. I am leery however of having to spend a whole week without work, now that it is crunch time for money. But if I work hard on donations, I can see it paying off in the end.

Well, that pretty much brings you up to date with the events happening. If anyone has ANY suggestions, feel free to email me at les_nathan_ueur@hotmail.com. I am very open to new and fresh ideas on preparing to go.

1 comment:

Timar Lu said...

So who is this Cheyanne girl of whom you speak? I would like to know a little about her before I donate to your cause.